Tuesday 31 August 2010

Quality

Well, that's that then, I thought to myself and smiled.

My proposal was finished. I glanced down at my watch; there were still ten minutes until the taxi arrived.

I took a second to look around my studio. I had taken a long time to make it into the kind of place I wanted to work. I had tried to make it as aesthetically, and I suppose intellectually, pleasing to myself as possible.

The light was flooding in through the window onto the bare floor boards, my full bookshelves were standing nicely against the white walls, the prints of artwork (both famous and obscure) and a few personal photos and posters were decorating the room nicely. Ornette Coleman was playing unobtrusively in the background.

I began to wonder if there really was potential for infinite good in the world? Not moral good but an aesthetic and intellectual "good"? Even if I had access to all that was "good" in the world would I tire of it? I had full dominion over this room and, as much as it was place of creativity and solace for me, I would grow bored of it if I were to spend all my time here.

I thought of all the mediocre and, for want of a better world, shite that flooded the world. The bad tv, films art and music that I was forced to unwillingly consume in my everyday life. Could these be replaced piece by piece for things that were brilliant and inspired? Or was there a limit, defined by our society and understanding of the world, of what could be truly "good"? Was 90% of everything doomed to be rubbish because there was only room for a decent 10%.

Was Robert Pirsig's idea of Quality true? Are things ever genuinely "good" anyway or is it only my own perceptions that make them so. Would some things become "good" if I looked at them long enough? Could anything become "good" if I studied it in enough detail? And what about irony, are things I enjoy because they are "bad" truly good.

I considered all of this and again came back to the rather gloomy thought even if all in the world were artistically "good" I would I still grow weary of it. Maybe I just didn't have an infinite zest for life, maybe I was doomed to be bored.

Anyway, I thought, this an odd thought to be having on such an occasion. I wandered into my bathroom and straightened my tie.

Grabbing my folder I walked to the front door and took a deep breath, silently praying that the executives would like Hippo Gippo.