Monday 30 August 2010

Discrete Me

It was a few years ago that a past self realised that we were all discrete beings in time.

Actually, my past self put that rather badly, let me rephrase:

Several years ago a past version of my self realised that "I" only exist for one moment in time. A future "me" was not me now. "I" was not continuous through time but there was only a near infinite string of "me" throughout "my" lifespan.

So, (losing all the tedious quotation marks), this past version of myself considered the implications of this. That, although I shared memories with the past
me's, I was not them. A considerable number of past me's decided what should be done about this.

As past
me's realised that their life, or as it was, the moment they existed in was essentially consequence free they decided that each me that existed should live as viscerally as possible. They savored as much of life as possible.

The only problem with this as no consequences existed all of life suddenly became, in a very real sense, meaningless.

Naturally, they decided that hedonism was the only way, to follow every "whim". The term "whim" of course being a misnomer as they only existed for a moment any thing they desired in that moment would be all that they would "ever", so to speak, want.

I do not feel like "reliving" moments but suffice to say every me made sure that every single iteration of myself had his most immediate desire fulfilled.

Having no responsibilities was, in a sense fantastic, but often they found themselves having to manoeuvre out of an awkward situation a past version of me had got the current version of myself into. It was, I suppose, what happened because every version of me was true to himself.

I have no regrets, as that would be pointless. However I no longer wish to describe how the world works to you. Instead, I am now going to enjoy the way the light shines onto my bed. Cascading brilliantly through the grills in my window and into my cell....