Monday 14 February 2011

Piece

For too long - he said
Artists have been naval gazing, they have been frightened to engage with the world - he said
Or if they have it has been on too small a scale, too simplistic, no where near grand enough - he said.
But, ladies and gentleman - he said
I plan too change all of that. I plan a work of art on a scale never before conceived - he said.
They waited.
To save you an effort I will let you know that I have been standing on the shoulder of giants but I am the colossus who will overshadow them all. I have taken the ready-mades of Duchamp, the style of Dali, the audacity of Hirst and the vision of Borges. But I have out done the Argentinian! Whilst he merely wrote I have enacted - he said.
They waited.
My subject is everything happening right now; there is nothing in this world I do not consider, no position that cannot be inferred. My scope is infinite, ladies and gentlemen, as my canvas is the whole universe.
They waited.
He unveiled his piece.
It is, as you see, a telescope - he said.
If you care to look you will see I've scratched my name on the lens - he said.
Now where shall we start the bidding? - he said.
You've ruined a perfectly good telescope - They said.