Thursday 30 September 2010

Deity

He was a terrible deity.

Some people just shouldn't be given the gift of omnipotence and he was one of them. It's not that he was evil or even bad per se ... it was more like there was just so much more that he could have been doing.

"Jimmy" I said to him one day. "You're wasting your powers."

He just looked at me, shrugged and laughed. I wonder if he ever cared about the world's problems or if he was as flippant as this from the off.

Sure, I enjoyed some of his benevolence occasionally, but he was more like a fancy gameshow than a god - a fancy car, a new microwave, that kind of thing.

Once he showed me a press clipping of a horse that had been born with a horn and the face of Mr Magoo. The article called it a "Magoo-nicorn". He thought it was hilarious.

Sometimes he tells me he messes with a single persons life - changes little things they've done, packs them a different lunch, changes the name of their first girlfriend. He told me the names of some of them but it meant nothing to me.

Sometimes I ask him "Jimmy, why do you do this stuff?"

He told me once something about a promise he made to himself a long time ago. Another time he told me that the universe needed a god but wouldn't accept one who actually did anything. Mostly he just sits around drinking beer and watching daytime TV.

Like I said he was a terrible deity.